Hillsboro, OR asked in Immigration Law for Oregon

Q: My passport from Venezuela expired & I have I-751 case pending. I cannot renew my passport. Can I get a travel doc?

Since Venezuela does not currently have working consulates in the US where I could renew my passport, can I apply for a I-131 travel document that would replace my passport if I intend to travel overseas, Europe for example? I will also be eligible to apply for naturalization in September. Would this impact my pending case and my plans to apply for naturalization?

My plan would be to travel overseas in December- if this is possible? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: An expired passport will not effect your NATZ application.

Yes, you may apply fo a travel document.

Svetlana Kats agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.