Denham Springs, LA asked in Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Can I file for emergency custody if my ex is not following guidelines during the pandemic and my kids are sick?

My wife's ex husband has split custody with my wife and I, 7/7, and our residence is their primary. My wife's ex husband has allowed the children to sleep over at friends' houses, taken them to public places and exposed them to unnecessary risk that we (as a group) had previously agreed would not happen without consent of both parties. Today when we received the kids, one of them was sick and we learned they had been taken to a party. My entire household has now been tested for COVID (awaiting results). Can we file for an emergency change to the custody agreement to pursue sole custody since he has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that he will not abide by guidelines and through his disregard has also exposed my wife and I as well as the kids to harm and exposure?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your custody attorney can file for ex Parte. However, the 1st circuit has already decided they will not interfere with joint or shared custody if one parent has a front line job. Their reception to risky behavior may be similar. Additionally for family law cases, the 21st JDC has already recomenced in person court. Whereas the 24th, 22d and Orleans District Courts have not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.