Enterprise, AL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: can my ex take my son away from me at twelve years old?

Me and my ex were never legally married. There was never any legal custody arrangements made and although he does legally pay child support and signed an affidavit. His claim is that when my son turns twelve he can choose who he wants to live with. and then added he doesnt however want his daughter regardless. I do not want to give up my son to this man Is this true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: No it is not true. He can petition the court for custody at any time, however he has to prove that there has been a material change in circumstances that promotes the best interests of the child in order to change custody. He’s bluffing you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.