Bayonne, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Green card holder stuck abroad


I am a lawful resident that went to visit my family abroad in February and got stuck due to COVID-19. I am nearly 180 days outside the United States and not sure I can be back before they open the airport here. Can I be denied entry back to the states and be considered as abandoning my residency? I am also afraid to take a flight now since I am asthmatic and more vulnerable than others to contract the virus. Please advise what could be the worst scenario in my case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: The US government is well aware of the situation and that many LPR's are victims of the same circumstance. Even so, contact your US consulate and advise them of your situation. Keep a record that you did so. Also keep a record to indicate that you have maintained a residence inside the USA. Should flights be available and ypu choose not to avail yourself of the available flights because you have asthma make sure to have an official medical diagnosis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.