Orlando, FL asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Florida

Q: Do I qualify to have my misdemeanor expunged from my records?

My case ended in a plea of Nolo contendere. My case was handled in pinellas county. The alleged offence was possession of marijuana.

2 Lawyer Answers
Jonathan Blecher
Jonathan Blecher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Provided you have no convictions for any other offenses in your past, a withhold of adjudication on possession of marijuana should be eligible for a record sealing, not an expungement. Expungements are reserved for charges that have been dismissed by a judge or dropped by the State.

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: Your case does not qualify for an expungement because the prosecutor would have to drop your case or Nolle Prose it. However, if you received a withhold of adjudication, you may qualify for having your records sealed. After they have been sealed for 10 years you can request an expungement. You should have an attorney assist you with this matter. Most JUSTIA attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Contact one of us and let us know you found us on JUSTIA. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.