Hyannis, MA asked in Divorce, Employment Law, Estate Planning and Family Law for Colorado

Q: If I have to take a lower paying job to be close to my children will the court see this as under-employment?

My ex insists on living in a rural community where there are zero job opportunities for my career. To continue to work in my career I have to live in NYC. My children are suffering in bad schools full of high-school drop outs, getting into drugs and lots a bad stuff. I need to be with them and support them in other ways that just financially. I am considering abandoning by 25 year career in pharmaceutical advertising to take a menial job just so that I can be with my children. My ex also abandoned her career to live in this area and took a simple job and makes far under her earning potential. If I were to do the same will I be penalized for wanting to be near my children and forced to pay the same rate of maintenance and child support although I could never afford to. I currently make a mid-6 figure salary and the best job within 50 miles of my children pays less than $50k. Thank you in advance for your response.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: This is something that is within the discretion of a Judge so will depend on the evidentiary presentation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.