Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Colorado Employment Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on

Q: Won a labor case and then won the appeal Recieved the final order and decision Now served with a civil summons

Does the Certified Final order and decision Trump the civil summons for this case.?

Donald C Eby answered on Jul 9, 2019

It is really impossible to answer your question based on the scant facts. You have been served with a lawsuit, even if the lawsuit is a loser (for the Plaintiff) you must answer and assert your defense. I recommend that you contact an attorney to review the facts of the first case and the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Can a director who is paid a salary also work as independent contractor for the same company and be paid as such

A programs director for an agency that takes care of people with Developmental Disabilities is paid as a programs director but also serves clients from his agency and is paid as independent contractor for serving the clients in his house

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jun 17, 2019

Yes, but the differentiation in roles and the basis for contractor treatment should be documented and retained for audit and an independent contractor agreement should be signed.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Hello, I want to know if I can create an app that gives people dating advice & helps them update their profiles?

I was wondering if it’s illegal to create an app that gives people dating advice, as well as help people get their online profiles up to date and make them more presentable for the type of person that they’re looking for. I would state that I’m not a therapist or anything like that. But was... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 18, 2019

If you undertake this plan without having the input of at least two lawyers you will probably regret it. This situation is one that brings to mind the ancient warning: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't."

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Being accused of offering drugs to coworkers

Last week a manager at my job went to our area supervisor and told him that she overheard me asking employees if they do drugs and I could get them whatever they wanted. This never happened. She is now telling my supervisor that he needs to call the police and she will if he doesn't. I honestly... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Mar 8, 2018

If she calls the police, the police might investigate it, either by talking to the two employees or by contacting you for questioning. If they do contact you, you do not have to speak to the police. It would be best if you got an attorney before talking to the police. Whether or not charges are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: what is my legal stance on getting my final check from past employer who refuses to pay.

Past employer refuses to pay final check. Check is also missing correct overtime and commissions. claiming the check is going towards a minor fender bender I was apart of months prior in company truck on the clock. I exchanged insurance information and continued working, after I started a new job... Read more »

Adam Kielich answered on Jan 21, 2018

In Colorado you can either file a lawsuit or file a wage claim with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment. Which is the better option for you is impossible to say without knowing more facts about your situation. You should talk to an employment attorney in Colorado. In some cases you can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Can a non profit org change my hourly wage to salary?

Adam Kielich answered on Jan 21, 2018

An employer can change an employee from an hourly basis to a salary basis so long as either the method of payment satisfies the minimum wage and overtime requirements for a non-exempt employee or if the employee is exempt from those requirements. Without more details it is difficult to say whether... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: Can an establishment, such as fast-casual restaurants, discriminate against age?

My mother is 42 years old and had an interview at Qdoba Mexican Grill in Colorado Springs, CO. They told her she was too old for the job and sent her home. It is my understanding that this is not legal, is this true?

Adam Kielich answered on Jan 21, 2018

It is unlawful for a business to discriminate against applicants over the age of forty on the basis of the applicant's age. An employer may be liable to an applicant refused a job on the basis of age if the employer employs more than the minimum threshold under federal and state law. Your mother... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: I work for a small biz as an employee and was sued personally (small claims) for a mistake the biz made. What do I do?

I work for a small business as an employee that does watch repair by mail. A customers watch was lost in the mail - but now he has sued me personally in small claims court for the lost watch. How do I proceed because I was working as an agent of the company? I don't think I should be personally... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Dec 12, 2017

Hire an attorney, A company policy is not the law and they can sue you and the company. You'll have to respond to the complaint and defend yourself at trial if necessary.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Animal / Dog Law for Colorado on

Q: If I leave my cat a grooming salon I work at for a few days, and they give her away without my, how can I get her back?

Juliet Piccone answered on Oct 11, 2017

You will have to sue the whoever gave your cat away and the person they gave it to but there are a lot of details that will affect whether you will be successful. I'd suggest you schedule a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Does a retention agreement, where my company is moving locations (and I am not) and I am being retained for two months

and then being given severance, does that supersede and override a non-compete agreement?

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Sep 1, 2017

Not automatically. Any deviation from prior contractual agreements should be included in the retention agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Constructive Discharge question

case for constructive discharge? and what outcomes with a suit of that sort

Have worked for employer 12+ years, answer directly to partners & manage 2 staff employees, exempt pay status. Recently company decided wanted to make some changes for the company. Wanted me travel to week long... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Aug 31, 2017

Based on your facts, you likely have a case. Of course, you really need to contact an employment lawyer directly to review all the specifics of your case (this will also create a confidential and attorney-client protected conversation--which Justia's Q&A does not provide).

Some attorneys...
Read more »

Q: Can I sue a ex employer for a injury that happened a few years ago who had me say I was not at work when it occured

I had surgery on my shoulder recently do to the work related injury I was let go or forced to quite plus did not get any compensation for it

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Aug 30, 2017

Talk to an employment lawyer about the specifics of your case. Be warned, you will have an uphill battle counter your prior statement that the injury did not occur at work. There is case law that does protect employees who are forced to not report an injury in the workplace for fear of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: If a hostile work environment has not been addressed after numerous coworker complaint's. Can I receive a settlement?

Me and my fellow coworkers supervisor has been escalating insensitive, malicious actions that have only worsened. The supervisor has mocked my coworkers need for help(may), while have wide changing mood swings that can incite more aggressive vocalization, and mocking body behavior. The actions... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jul 26, 2017

Contact an employment law attorney in your area. The attorney will need to review the totality of the situation before any assessment can be made.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: I have a three-year contract. Two years in, my company was sold. I want out. Does the sale change affect my obligations?

The contract specifies that I cannot work for a competitor until 6mo. after Term ends, or after my last day. thanks.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jul 21, 2017

The terms of the contract itself should control the effect of a sale on the parties. The general rule is that the change in ownership does not modify the obligations of either party. In other words, the contract is likely still in effect. If you want to be sure, you will need to hire a lawyer to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: I live in Colorado. Is it legal for a prior employer (5 years ago) to take money out of 401k without permission?

Hello, I am asking on behalf of my father who worked for a company approximately 5 years ago. He was laid off due to the company selling the division. When he worked there he had a 401K account with an employee match deal. 5 years later (as of yesterday) he discovered that the company made a... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jul 12, 2017

Generally,employers (current or past) are not allowed to "raid" individual retirement plans. However, calculation errors or limited other causes may allow withdrawal. Usually notice is required. A lot depends on the employment and 401K contract. For specific review you will need to pay an attorney... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: Integrity interview phone permission

I live in New York and was in an interview in Colorado for police department. During the integrity interview they asked if I would be okay with them looking through my phone and I said I don't think it's relevant and said no and they said they're sorry I failed the interview I was wondering if it... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba answered on Jun 26, 2017

You should ask a Colorado attorney that question. Have you traveled to Canada lately? Customs can go through anything, everything, whatever they want. They can read all your correspondence. If customs agents can do that don't you think police will do that even if you were already an officer,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: if the employer email inbox is left accessible, can information be used that was viewed unknowingly?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on May 10, 2017

Try resubmitting with details of what occurred. This question is too vague to provide an answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Can my employer, with approximately 20 employees, not give me my full time job back when my maternity leave is up?

I requested 6 weeks off, and 4 weeks into my time off, my boss is telling me they couldn't hold the full time job open and offered me a different part time job. Is that legal?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on May 1, 2017

Colorado does not have special maternity laws, but there are federal protections via the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). With some very narrow exceptions, a person requesting leave (which generally must be granted) is required to have their same or similar job at the end of the leave. FLMA... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Contracts for Colorado on

Q: Can I cancel a pay for play contract for time on a radio station?

He's breaking rules that are in his contract and his contract is up for renewal and we don't want to renew it. He's paid for the time but hasn't signed the new contract.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Apr 25, 2017

Justia's Q&A cannot provide legal advice or review the contract because this would create an attorney-client relationship. You will need to contact (and likely pay) an attorney directly. The attorney can review the contract and provide you with the guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.