Fort Worth, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: My rights oldest daughter only one father passed what are my rights owns house in Walnut Creek calif

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am sorry for your loss. It is unclear who passed away. It sounds like the father of your oldest daughter passed away. Is that correct? There are three main ways to collect assets from someone who passed away: First the person wrote will or trust and left you a gift. You have to read the will or trust to find out. The second way is that you are named as a co-owner or a beneficiary on something the person owned. For example, a co-owner on a house or a beneficiary on a life insurance contract, or a beneficiary on a bank account. The third way is that if the person who died does not have a will or trust, and they owned something when they passed away, you might be able to collect if you are a "natural heir." The most common natural heirs are a wife inheriting from a husband who died, a husband inheriting from a wife who has died, a child inheriting from a parent who died. If your daughter's father died, your daughter MIGHT be able to inherit something. Or she might be the beneficiary on one of his accounts. There is not enough information here to give you any further guidance. As to the house in Walnut Creek, the first step is to get a copy the deed to the house from a realtor, and then take it to an attorney for advice.

When you ask a question online, like here, the answers you get are only going to be basic information, a starting point. Attorneys are trained to talk to you to find out all the important details of your story. Getting all the details is very important because it will make a big difference in the legal information given to you. It is strongly recommended that even if you get a response here on Justia, that you also talk to an attorney. Some have free first interviews. Even if you have to pay, it is worth it because you talking to a professional who is going to focus on you.

Also there is no requirement that you talk to an attorney in your area. Any attorney licensed in California can help you no matter where you live as long as the issue is in California. The interview would be done by phone, Zoom, Skype, Facetime or some other type online method. Even if the attorney is in your area, many attorneys are only talking to people this way due to the Covid pandemic, so you couldn’t have an interview in their office anyway. Give one of us a call. We are here to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.