Miamisburg, OH asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Can I get visitation rights or adopt my girlfriends child?

We have been dating for 5 years (not married). So I’ve been in the child’s life the whole time. The father spent the weekend with the child 5 years ago then went MIA until child support was filed against him last year. This year he was granted visitation rights without even establishing a relationship with this child. The child is only 6. As her mate I would love to continue to support and care for the child. How do I get legal rights or some say so in the child’s life seeing that I’ve been his 2nd parent since age 1? Do I have to marry the mom and wait a year due to Ohio’s stepparent adoption laws?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You cannot get visitation rights. And you cannot adopt unless you marry the mother, and the father might object to that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local attorney who handles adoptions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.