Lake Oswego, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oregon

Q: How do I revise a restraining order to gain custody of my dog who is registered in the county and chip in my name.

The individual has a current misdemeanor and pending indictment taking effect for felony strangulation, menace, assaultin 4th degree and harassment.

2 Lawyer Answers
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: If the person who has your dog is the person who is restrained from contacting you, you will have to get in Touch with the prosecutor or your victim’s advocate To see if you can do a civil assist to get your dog back.

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Assuming the person who put the restraining order on you has your dog, you should promptly challenge the restraining order within the statutory period noted on your paperwork. You can challenge all or a portion of a restraining order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.