Allentown, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: If I provide for my son and my husband provides for his son in our wills, if I pass first,does his son get everything?

We have separate wills. I have provided for my son and my husband has provided for his son. If I pass first, would my husbands son receive everything and my son nothing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You state that you have separate Wills, but it is not clear if you are leaving everything to your husband if you die first (in which case his Will would control all assets when he dies (and vice versa if he dies first) or if you are leaving your husband out of your Will and trying to leave all of your assets to your son (which has certain issues in Pennsylvania).

you may want to meet with an experienced estate planning attorney as a couple to see if a compromise plan can be worked out to satisfy the two of you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.