Hazlet, NJ asked in Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: My son was divorced about 2 years ago. Part of the settlement was for his wife to pay their then due federal income tax

She has not paid and they are billing him. Is there anything that he can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Unfortunately other than taking her back to court he will need to set up his own collection alternative with the IRS. This can include currently not collectible status, an Offer in Compromise, or Innocent Spouse Relief. Most of us offer a free consultation so it would not hurt to speak with a lawyer and see what options are available for him. Just tell him to stay away from the places advertised on TV.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.