Charlotte, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I got a speeding ticket for 20+ over. First offence. What should I do to not get 4 points on my license?

Happened in va and I'm from nj

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Actually, it is more a question of what you shouldn't do - you shouldn't try and handle this yourself. Doing your own legal work is the functional equivalent of attempting to rebuild your's cars transmission if you aren't a mechanic - the results are often similar as well. So likely your best option is to shop around and contact a traffic attorney in the area where you got the ticket. Often a traffic attorney can have the ticket reduced to something that will not cause an insurance increase or license points or at least minimize that impact and often without you having to appear in court. And of course, in the future - stop speeding 20+ over the limit. That is dangerous for you and more importantly to others. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.