Houston, TX asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Texas

Q: Is it legal to for a multi billion structured patent settlement to be reversed?

At first i was told to hire a contracts lawyer. Now that the settlements were reversed what kind of attorney do i need to hire?

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: Yes, it is possible for a settlement to be reversed.

The kind of an attorney to represent you will depend on the nature of the problem. I would think that a patent litigator would be an appropriate starting point.

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak

A: Ask the lawyer who prepared the settlement if he/she can explain the situation.

If extra legal counsel is needed you can use a patent litigator. Patent litigators create settlement agreements as a regular part of their practice because many patent disputes are settled.

This answer includes generalizations and there are many caveats. This answer does not form an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.