Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Tax Law for Illinois

Q: What options do I have?

Older brother claimed me on his taxes last year. I did not agree to it. Now I won't get my first stimulus or even second a friend said. I'm 41 and not even a dependent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
  • Grayslake, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you filed your own taxes as a non-dependent, then you will get a stimulus check and he could be charged with tax fraud. If you claimed on your taxes that you were claimed as a dependent on his return, then you agreed to it and will not get a stimulus check. If you did not file taxes, you may not get a stimulus check, because you didn't make enough money. It is unclear what your situation is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.