Meriden, CT asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut

Q: My dad died in Oct. 2017. My brother filed probate papers in March 2018. My brother died in 2020.

I went and got a copy of my dads probate papers. They said both my brother and my name on papers. The estate said there was $30,990. My brother paid my dads furneral $13,000. He kept the balance for himself. He was suppose to split with me. Like I said he passed away a month ago. I didn't know about the remaining balance. He has a wife in which she will receive his insurance money. Can I make a claim to try and get the money he stole from me? After my dad died I had a nervous break so I assumed my brother was being honest. He bought a motorcycle, cars etc. with the money. His wife told me he burned the paperwork in the fireplace. Do I have a claim?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Yes, you have a claim against your brother's estate. Probate court where you father died should have copies of the various filings in your father's estate. They should show the amount you were entitled to and then you'd have to prove he kept that money and didn't pay it out to you. Then you can make a claim in your brother's estate, if there is one opened. If there isn't a probate opened for your brother, you can start one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.