Theodore, AL asked in Child Custody for Alabama

Q: If I have custody of my niece, how would I be informed if her father filed a motion to gain custody back?

I got full custody of my niece in August of 2019 with supervised visitation for her father, he never showed in court, advoided DHR not once but twice, the caseworker told me he cussed her out and everything. Well I was recently informed that he went and file for a motion to get custody back. I'm wondering what will happen if he really did that knowing he advoided DHR and never showed for court, how will I be informed of this information?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If he filed you will be served with a copy of the Petition. You will have 30 days to answer it. If you don’t he can default you and get what he wants, so answer it. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.