Matteson, IL asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: Is there a legal age that a child can decide where they would like to live.

My daughter has express multiple times wanting to live with me. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

It may depend on many factors, but you can certainly retain the services of an attorney and file for legal custody and all the cases related to the matter.

The court will evaluate and order a social study, as well as an evaluation to oversee if such changes will result on the improvement of her wellbeing and quality of life.

It will also establish a parental visitation rights regime as well as how the custody and dynamic between the parents will work.

Of course this is the simplest way to explain it without getting into the technical, legal and evidentiary details of the process.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.