Watsonville, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: What is the process for appointing someone as a substitute in the case of property shares in a living trust?

My grandmother left her home to her five children in a living trust, and my mother and uncle are requesting to leave their shares to me. The property cannot be sold unless all five children agree to sell it, and currently my mother and uncle are living at the property with myself. They would like to appoint their shares to me in the case that they pass away, as they do not want the other siblings to sell the family home and would prefer to keep it in the family. The house is still in the trust and has not sold.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Is the property still held by the Trust? If it is, then only the Trust can say how it may be passed.

If the Trust closed down then the Trustee should have deeded the house to the five siblings; then if they want to pass you their 20% interest they can do so with a deed.

Shawna Murray agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.