Fairview, OR asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: What kind of a lawyer do I need for a vandal case?

My car was vandalized by my ex what recourse do I have

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Options:

1) If you have insurance coverage you can make a claim with your own insurance company and pay the deductible.

2) If you have proof such as an admission, video or witnesses or saw the event yourself you could make a police report and hope they do something. If she is criminally convicted she would have to pay restitution for the damage. Or, if you chose to forgive her, you could accept a civil compromise and just let her pay for the damage.

3) If she has insurance such as a homeowners insurance policy, she may have coverage for negligence. Insurance will not cover intentional torts. So, if it is possible she was negligent, her insurance would likely cover if you allege negligence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.