Saint Paul, MN asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: Should one dispute excessive move-out fees in small claims court?

I recently moved out of an apartment in Tennessee. Despite multiple requests, I was never given a walk-through. In addition, we left 2 weeks before our lease ended due to fear of COVID-19, and the fact that we did not feel our apartment was following CDC Guidelines.

Despite this, the apartment is charging me excessive move-out fees that I don't feel are warranted. Should I take them to small claims court?

I now live in another state, would I need to file in the state I moved FROM? or can I file in the state I moved to?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Venue will basically be the County and State of the leasehold. If you do not pay what is demanded, then the landlord can sue you in that County, but will have to try to collect any Judgment against you. If there was a security deposit, than that might be something to sue for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.