Happy Valley, OR asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: How can I drop a case I started over a year ago? I've asked people involved and I can never get a strait answer.

I pressed charges against my partner for Domestic violence, I since then have tried to drop the charges and the whole case. We have gotten pregnant and had a child since then and everyone involved still says that I have to follow through. But I'm no longer interested in doing so.

I'd like him to be able to see us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You are not clear whether you are referring to a civil case in which you asserted the claims and presumably a restraining order or if you are referring to a criminal case in which you may have originally complained to the police and which was followed up on by the district attorney's office. IF it is a civil case, you are free to drop it anytime. IF it is a criminal case, you no longer have anything to say about whether the case is pursued by the district attorney and you do not have rights to drop the case or the restraining order. You can, however, talk to your partner's criminal defense attorney to see if you can aid in his defense. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.