Albuquerque, NM asked in Immigration Law for New Mexico

Q: My mom and I are US citizens. I live in the US, she lives in Mexico. Who should sponsor my dad's green card application?

My mother (US-born) and father (Mexican national) met in the US in university but moved to Mexico in the 70s. For some time he had a green card through this marriage, but they found jobs in Mexico and stayed there. The GC was given up at a port of entry at some point in the 70s as well (they have no copy of any paperwork, like an I-407). They'd like to eventually move to the US to be closer to me and my family. Would it be better for me to sponsor my dad's green card application, since I reside in the US? Also, will not having a copy of the I-407 pose a problem? Should I ask him to fill it out and back-date, and submit it alongside the I-130? They both visit the US fairly often so the given-up green card hasn't impacted his ability to travel.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: Either you or your mother can file the FORM I-130 on behalf of your father. However, your father may have an easier path to the immigrant visa if you file the relative petition. As the petitioner of the relative petition you will need to file the FORM I-864 with your latest federal tax return once the FORM I-130 is approved and forwarded to the National Visa Center.

An experienced immigration attorney can provide you with more information regarding this strategy.

Good luck to you.

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.