Athens, AL asked in Child Custody for Alabama

Q: Can my daughters father keep her from seeing me when we have a court order in place? He is the custodial parent for now.

I live in Alabama. Can my daughters father go against court order and keep my daughter from coming over for visitation.? My daughters father took me to court and the final hearing was last year in February. He was awarded custody because he has more money than I do. I was never deemed as an unfit parent, it was a materialistic thing according to the 3 attorneys I talked to after the final verdict. He kept her from me for the whole week I was suppose to have her & now he is telling me if I go to my parents house for the week, she can come over there & me stay at their house for the week but she isnt allowed at my house & they dont want her to see my husband who has been around since she was 4 months old & she is now 9. Can he do any of this.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The answer as I often find myself telling people is that anyone can do anything they want too...However, the real question is will he be held accountable. I assume that the same Order that gave him custody gave you custodial rights or at the least visitation. The Order will tell you what your right are...If he violates the Order your remedy is ti take him back to court to hold him in contempt and if applicable to seek to modify custody or visitation under the Order. Seek an attorney and get ready to go back to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.