Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: I’m 16, can I decide with whom I want to live?

Hi! I’m 16 and I would like to know if I could decide with whom I want to live. My parents were not married when they had me so my mother has custody of me but she is moving to Florida and I have expressed her that I don’t want to live there, I want to stay in Puerto Rico but they don’t listen to me. I’m desperate because I don’t want to live there so I wanted to know if I there was a legal way that I could stay in Puerto Rico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You can have your Father petitión for your custody. At the Hearing of the Petitión you will be able to testify and you opinión will be heard. This will in most instances allow a Court to rule in your Father's favor and allow you to stay un Puerto Rico.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.