Santa Cruz, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My ex-housemate is dying of COVID and all the utilities are in his name. Should I transfer as soon as possible?

The daughter of my ex-housemate wants the transfer into my name by Monday and the landlord is not willing to put the bills in their name (probably because I have claimed Civil Code 1511 -- and am not paying them rent for legal reason due to unsafe conditions as well as exposure to COVID). Also, have evidence against them for illegally letting housemates out of the lease/ trying to charge me for their rent. Would putting the bills in my name signify that I am reentering into a legal agreement with the landlord of the property or does it just confirm a legal agreement with the utility company for the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry about the medical condition of housemate. You have a lot of issues with respect to these utilities. From your question, I assume you are still living on the premises where the ex-housemate lived. There is no such thing as "legal code 1511" so it is difficult to follow you. I would suggest that you seek counseling from an attorney practicing Tenant Rights law in your local area. More information is needed to resolve this and this forum may not be the best place.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.