Asked in Banking

Q: If I have a joint bank account with someone who dies, would the bank distribute the entire amount among his creditors?

It would be very helpful if someone has some knowledge of Pakistani law regarding this as well. Also I want to know whether this sort of thing happens with a joint current/checking account or a joint savings account. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL

A: Every state has laws regarding this situation. Usually, account holders are able to add a "Payable on Death" (POD) beneficiary to their bank accounts. It could be once beneficiary or several, and the account holder may, in some cases, state the percentage of funds from the account he wishes each POD beneficiary to receive upon his death. Financial institutions are authorized to follow the POD designation on their records unless they are on notice that the designation was revoked by will or a demand is made from a third party, such as a Personal Representative in a local or foreign probate proceeding. If the POD designation is contested the financial institution will have its attorneys get involved to see if the account just needs to be frozen or if under the applicable law and bank policies the money must be transferred to the third party. If the account is in the United States but there is a estate proceeding in Pakistan, then the bank would need to be made aware of any conflicts before the funds are released to the POD beneficiaries.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on this information without first consulting with your own lawyer and discussing your specific facts and available options in detail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.