Allen, TX asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Texas

Q: Can we manufacture and sell this product

We are planning to start e commerce business and finalized a product after browsing lots is products on global sourcing. But when we searched same product on amazon it says a patent has been filed on the product - US Utility Patent No. US 9585455 B2. US Design Patent No. USD 821033. Can we manufacture and sell this product as is or with modifications

2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: Those are granted patent numbers. If you make, use, sell, or offer to sell a product in the United States that is covered by these patents, then you will be infringing. As you know of the patents, they may seek to enhance the damages up to 3x for willful infringement.

You need to either design around these patents, work to a position where you know the patents are invalid, or obtain license rights if you you want to operate in the US or any other country where there are patent rights on this product.

This may not be the answer you wanted to hear.

You need to consult with a patent attorney with the proper skills to guide you through this process.


Kevin E Flynn FLYNN IP LAW

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak

A: A full analysis should be made to determine if the proposed product infringes on the found patents. If non-infringing, it may also be prudent to do a full search to determine if the product infringes on a patent not yet discovered.

As a general disclaimer, this answer includes generalizations and there are many caveats. This answer does not form an attorney client relationship. Consider hiring an attorney to analyze the specific facts to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.