Lincoln, NE asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska

Q: Can my landlord sue me for this?

I moved out of my apartment on 5/31 (the end of the lease) and now they are sending me a bill for $2,700 because apparently I was required to give 60 day notice to move out. Is there anything a I can do to dispute this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Often a lease requires a certain amount of notice to terminate. If the period of time is reasonable, such as the Court may say 30 or 60 days as reasonable notice, then the Court will generally enforce a lease agreement entered into between the parties that requires the tenant to give 60 days notice or continue to pay rent for those 60 days if they vacate prior to the 60 days notice. Thus, in that situation, the Court could very likely require the tenant to be held to paying rent for those 60 days even if they vacated earlier without notice. However, some landlords will work with you, especially if another tenant has already rented the premises and your relationship with the landlord has otherwise been cooperative.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.