Bladensburg, MD asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maryland

Q: If a father of a child isn’t on the birth certificate in Maryland does he by law have to pay child support ?

Long story short the mother of the child didn’t know who the father was when she was pregnant and gave birth. She now has my significant other on child support and Denise him his rights to see his son. In a way it looks as if she doesn’t want the father to be part of the child’s life. She does take child support for the child though but can this be taken to court ? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Whether or not he is on the birth certificate is irrelevant to his obligation to pay child support. If the child is his, he is legally obligated to support the child. If he would like a relationship with the child, he can file a custody matter where he asks for access. The mother cannot deny he is the father since she is asking child support from him as the father of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.