Diamond Bar, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: 2 brothers own 50% each of home, 1 brother signs quitclaim deed to remove name, does this reassess the property in CA?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua D. Brysk
Joshua D. Brysk
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is no exemption for a sibling to sibling transfer, so you might be facing an increase in property taxes. However, the history of the title (e.g. if one brother added the other) and whether there is a joint tenancy (right of survivorship) could affect the analysis. you should consult with a real estate attorney to get an answer to your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.