Marina Del Rey, CA asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: AZDES closed my child support case. Said location of my ex is unknown. Owes me close to 200K. Does he still owe arrears?

My case is in AZ. My daughter and myself live in California.

On April 28th the Child Support arrears balance was Total: $164,569.41. I looked a few days ago and it was $0.00. I called AZDES Child Support Enforcement and they said it was closed on July 20th as they don't know his location. I have his address!! They can simply google too!

Does this mean that he no longer owes this child support?

My daughter will be 18 in Sept. It is the Az Dept of Child Support Enforcement who closed the case.

Has he been released from all of these years of being a deadbeat dad?

I thought that it would never go away and someday his SS will come to me if he has still not paid.

I am so upset and hope you can advise.

Thank you in advance!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Just because DCSS closed your case does not mean his arrears are gone. Those arrears are owed to you and the statute of limitations was abolished on child support arrears in 2005 (though older cases may still be subject to it). If you have new information about his whereabouts, then alert DCSS ASAP. The State can only write off arrears that are owed to the State, if all of those are owed to you, they are still good. Each missed child support payment is a judgment as a matter of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.