Bothell, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Puerto Rico

Q: My daughter & son in law are drug addicts and alcoholics and are neglectful of their two children. CPS & 911 reports

on file in PR. Can grandparents get temporary custody while court requires rehabilitation?

We live in Wa state! Our home was the children’s home away from home before they moved from here to PR! Son in law is abusive to our daughter and has complete control over her! What can be done to protect these children?

2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Yes the Grandparents can petitión for custody of the children if thier wellbeing is at risk. This is done by filing a petition in Family Court, notifying the Family Department, notifying the Child Protection Agency or directly with the Court.

Please evaluate my services in the Space provided above, marking the five stars above.

Thank you.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

Given proof that the children are exposed to child neglect and dangerous or high risk situations, the children grandparents can file a complaint to the Family Department and child protection and enforcement division simultaneously followed by petition for custody of theses children to the family court, child support and every other issue related to the situation at hand in order to lookout for the benefit and the wellbeing of the children. Due to the complexity and the technical characteristic of the process it is advisable to hire legal representation

If you have any other questions feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.