Manlius, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York

Q: My roommates ex moved out 12/2019 and left her dog. Yesterday she came and took her while I was preoccupied with my kids

She didn't ask if the dog could stay nothing. Just came home to her dog and everything else she owned gone. She's been over since and never says a word about the dog. I pay for food medicine everything for 9 months. She came over and while I was busy with the kids she took the dog. Now I have 3 very upset kids and she says I can't do anything because she's her dog. What can I do to get the dog back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You would have to sue her for ownership rights to be recognized. You can claim she abandoned the dog. However, unless she said or did anything that clearly expressed her wish to abandon, it will be an uphill battle. If you want to recover what you spent, you can sue her to be reimbursed for the money spent to care for her dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.