Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Civil Rights, Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Florida

Q: DMV says I need a birth certificate to get photo ID, DOH says I need photo ID for birth certificate. What should I do?

My driver's license is expired. I tried renewing online and was told I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate. I do not have a "valid" copy of a birth certificate. For those who are not aware, the Florida DMV is currently in the same state of collapse as most of their other state agencies, and people not being able to renew DLs has become an issue.

DMV is unreachable. Tried several times by phone and email. Spoke to DOH, not productive. I am aware of the tactic of coming back another time and talking to someone else.

I only need an ID to open a bank account. DOE has sent large payments as paper checks, there is nothing I can do with them. I use an online bank. I never set up mobile check cashing because in 15 years, never needed it. I can't use mobile check deposit without a photo ID either. Even tried check cashing stores.

Ordered copy of birth certificate from vitalchek months ago.

2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Are you indicating that you have neither? How old are you?

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Have you discussed with both agencies what the problem is and asked them what alternative processes are available when neither document is available? Regarding the Dept. of Health, you can discuss with them applying for delayed registration of birth under Florida Statutes Section 382.019 and Florida Administrative Code Section 64V-1.001. View those sections by googling them. If the employee on the line has no idea what you're talking about, request a supervisor. If you cannot accomplish the task that way, Fla. Statutes Sec. 382.0195 provides for petitioning the court for a delayed birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.