Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida Election Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Florida on
Q: How can I place an item to be voted on in a city?

I would like to change the laws of the municipality by placing it on the ballot for the upcoming elections.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Sep 14, 2020

You must find out whether your city has a process for petitioning to place a referendum on the ballot (also called initiative petition), and if so, what the petition requirements are (method, number of signatures needed, time restrictions, etc.). I would start out by calling the City Clerk's... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Election Law, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida on
Q: Are you required to pay your employer back for something when you never signed a contract saying you would?

My employer paid for the license for the position he hired me for. I am now moving to another office due to moving and he is making me pay him back but I never signed any contract stating I had to pay him back for said license.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 5, 2020

Rather than be concerned about whether you should have to repay your employer you should be more concerned about being terminated if you refuse. Florida employers can terminate employees at any time for any reason.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: DMV says I need a birth certificate to get photo ID, DOH says I need photo ID for birth certificate. What should I do?

My driver's license is expired. I tried renewing online and was told I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate. I do not have a "valid" copy of a birth certificate. For those who are not aware, the Florida DMV is currently in the same state of collapse as most of their other... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 4, 2020

Are you indicating that you have neither? How old are you?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Election Law for Florida on
Q: Can I demand to see the results of a ballot scan after voting?

I live in Florida. We have paper ballots that are scanned by a machine when submitted. During the midterm elections, I asked the person administering the scanning machine if I could see the electronic results after I submitted my paper ballot. There had been several reports nation-wide of voting... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Nov 7, 2018

The poll workers cannot access the votes, and there would be no way to confirm how you voted, since all votes are anonymous. You can check ALL recorded votes by submitting a public records request to your county elections department. After a certain point in time, all of those paper ballots will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: Can a candidate switch parties during an election?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 17, 2017

Yes, but I'm guessing your question relates to such things as whether the candidate will remain on the ballot.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: A County Republican Executive Committee has created an addition stipulation through a provision in the CCREC

Bylaws when Committeemen/women are declared vacant and will be replaced,

i.e.,that they must attend 2/3's of the meetings of the County Executive Committee. Do local RECs have this authority or do not have the authority to create such additional stipulations beyond those circumstances... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 9, 2015

This question would require research on my part, and probably on most attorney's parts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.