Birmingham, AL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Public Benefits for Alabama

Q: What does this mean when there is no period listed as disqualification? Do I need to file an appeal or get a lawyer?

"Discharge for Misconduct: You will be disqualified for the period indicated and the maximum amount of benefits to which you may become entitled after the disqualification period will be reduced."

Also, there was no misconduct on my side. I have the entire termination process recorded. He mentioned having to redirect me a few times, even though I knocked out a years worth of work in 2 months and I'm ADHD. I can send the recording to someone if need be to ensure my name and work ethic isn't tarnished, as well as, needing my unemployment to pay bills until I have another job. Heck, my ex-employer is recorded apologizing to me for his misconduct of cussing me before he fires me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Alabama attorney could best advise, but you await a response for four weeks. From your description, this looks like a matter related to termination and eligibility for unemployment benefits. You could repost and add Employment Law as a category, or you could reach out to Alabama employment attorneys to discuss. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.