Swedesboro, NJ asked in Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: I am turning 17 in 16 days and I wanted to know if I can legally move out and stay with my biology mother and sisters

I wanna live with my biology mother and family because I feel happier their than where I'm at

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: At 17, you have the right to sit down with your parents and discuss where you want to live and why. A parent of guardian may not be happy with your decision but they are gong to be hard pressed to stop you..... but that does not mean that their feelings will not be hurt. Be respectful and understand that the reason why there may be push back is most likely because they are fearful that you are making a mistake. I dont know if it is a mistake but dont burn bridges and shut the door. Show maturity in your handling of the setting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.