Brea, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: My daughter & ex son in law have joint custody for their 2 children in the state of Utah. A few months ago my daughter

Came to Arizona because she was having some problems. Her ex agreed to keep the girls while she was away but before she left she was served papers from her ex stating he wanted full custody. So she responded to the courts from AZ & was given a court date & time that they were to have a phone hearing & my daughter was supposed to call on a certain day & time, well she just missed the court phone hearing & I wondered what could be done cuz she is freaking out. Can she call & reschedule or is it done & over with??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: She really needs a Utah family law attorney to ensure her rights are adequately defended. That being said, she should contact the clerk and see if an order issued after the missed hearing or if there had been any additional filings. She may need to ask the Court to set aside any order that was issued and set the matter for another hearing.

I would not miss any future hearings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.