Boise, ID asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Idaho

Q: married adult living with parents, can the father force child’s spouse to leave the property

let me rephrase and add some detail. my hubs+2sons have been living w/my in-laws since Mar. i receive mail at the address but sleep somewhere else due to PO rules. there’s a verbal agreement between hub and FIL but no lease. we help with housework and groceries. FIL has threatened to call cops/remove me for arbitrary reasons (ie: having my phone in my hand while being outside with my kids, asking FIL to speak to me like a human being after a misunderstanding between me&my son where FIL was screaming at me, or because my hub&i got in a fight and FIL butted in and threatened the cops) obvs i leave cause i’m not getting arrested in front of my kids. but i question the actual legality of all of it. hubs&FIL have agreement on paper regarding certain behaviors on both sides but FIL makes 0 effort to follow, while expecting 100% adherence on our part or jumps straight to bringing the cops into it.


1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Yes. Father is the "homeowner" and the spouse is a "guest" and so is daughter, so be nice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.