Huntsville, AL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: Can an 18 year old legally move out even if her legal guardian says that she can't?

Several years ago, her father tricked her mother into signing over full custody. She is now 18 and has reached out to the mother and I and is wanting to move out of her father's house and move in with us. We are willing to take her in but her father keeps telling her that she cannot move out since she is still in school. We have been told that she has been hit on in her current home (we are unsure if that is true or not) and we are wanting to get her out of there legally and take on responsibility. Her friend lives with her and the friend told us that she had called the cops on the father for hitting on my step daughter but my step daughter is scared of her father and told the cops that her father didn't hit her. What, if anything, can we do to get her out of her current situation legally? We also can't afford to hire a lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If she’s 18 she can live where she wants to. They can’t charge her and no court is going to make her go home if she doesn’t want to.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.