Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandparents passed. No will was left. How can my dad get the house in his name?

My dad's brothers aren't interested in the house but also don't want to sign it over. We have been living in this house over 30 years, since before my grandparents passed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You Will need to file in Court a judicial process for Declarations of Inheritors. Once the Court has issued a Resolución, the next step is to file the Inheritance Tax Return requesting a Tax Reléase. With said Tax Reléase the property Inheritors will be registered in the Property Registry Department under all the Inheritor's names.

Now the Inheritor's can decide what to do with the property. They can sell to each other, sell to a third party or give it away.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.