Lake In The Hills, IL asked in Contracts for Illinois

Q: Possible Impaired Attorney Late on Filing Motion

There is a Motion due tomorrow for which the attorney has already had one extension. I don't think he can get another. The work product was supposed to be sent to me last week but I have only received a lot of excuses. He promised today and now has missed that promise. If he, in fact, does complete the filing on time I have reason to believe it may not be done correctly or be incomplete.

I see three options: 1) Notice the court I am terminating the attorney for cause and file with the court prior to the filing date deadline. 2) Allow him to file a possibly deficient pleading and then terminate for cause and hope the court will allow me to hire a new attorney who can then correct the pleading 3) Try to file the motion myself. I am not an attorney but have written motions before and can get the thrust of the argument across, but without the number of cites which might be possible. In any of these options, should I notice the court of the situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: As the client, you have the absolute right to discharge your current attorney and retain new counsel. Based on the concerns you describe, it would be best for you to immediately start searching for a new attorney while advising your current attorney you no longer want them to represent your interests. Your attorney will then file a motion with the Court to withdraw and you will be granted time to find new counsel who would then appear on your behalf and represent your interests. I do not know the status of the case and the type of filing you are describing, but prompt action will protect your interests. Unless the matter involves small claims, it is always best to have attorney representation rather than representing yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.