Franklin, TN asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee

Q: Three years ago my 90 yr. old mother was pressured by a contractor into agreeing to remodeling work .

She paid $4000 up front and then changed her mind. She called within 24 hours and sent a certified letter (no signed return receipt received). My brother found out later the address given for the company was an empty lot. She did receive a letter from contractors attorney saying the contractor had bought the materials with the money; however, non were ever delivered. When my mom told the contractor she was going to contact the AG’s office, which she did, he threatened to come over to her house. That scared her.

Now that she finally let her kids know about the situation we are wanting to know if there is anything that can be done to get her money back or has it passed the statute of limitations?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: From the facts, it sounds to me like you may be describing a breach of contract claim that your Mother would have against the contractor here. This link provides information on common Tennessee statutes of limitations

The statute of limitations for lawsuits regarding contracts is 6 years. Another issue you may have is your ability to locate that contractor 3 years later if he is no longer in TN.

Your Mother may consider reporting the contractors action to the state of Tennessee here:

You may want to consider consulting with an Attorney to determine what options your Mother has to possibly be refunded the $4,000 she paid for materials that were never delivered. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.