Park Ridge, IL asked in Bankruptcy for Illinois

Q: What if my wife refuses to pay for my debt?

I have judgments against me totaling around $60,000 for credit card debt, plus another $40K in unsecured debt that has not been brought to court. All of this debt is in my name only. I am self-employed, but currently struggling/out of work. I would like to file a chapter 7, but my wife's salary is too high. I did the preliminary paperwork and there is no way that we could make the payment suggested. The house is hers and I have no other assets. If my wife is unwilling to make payments on my behalf, what other options are there?

EDIT: She is not filing. Only me. We are still married living together. I was told that her income has to be included and disqualifies me from filing Chapter 7.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Try a Chapter 7 just in your name. Your wife has no obligation to pay your debts. Consult a competent bankruptcy lawyer who can review your financial situation before you do anything.

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
  • Wadsworth, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You don't need to file chapter 7 together. Each can file independently and one can choose not to file.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.