West Long Branch, NJ asked in Trademark for New Jersey

Q: Trademarking a name for my CLOTHING COMPANY, however a local BEER COMPANY the name TM'ed for a SINGULAR BEER?

I have done some research and cant figure it out!

So, I started this clothing company named after my areas ZIP Code. People love the area and enjoy local goods. Here is my situation:

Each county in New Jersey has a specific ZIP code and the towns within it also have a specific suffix to that code. (Pretend all the towns in my county start with [173 - -] zip code) for example (made up names) "Riverton" has the zip code 17301, and "Phillipstown" has the zip 17304, and "Hooversville" has the zip 17355, and so on, as they are all in the same county.

I thought of the idea to come up with a clothing brand called "173XX Clothing Co"... People love the idea and love the shirts. However, there is a local brewing company about 30 minutes away, and they are a well known brewing company in the area. They make a bunch of beers, and one of their beers is named "173XX"... Issue?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Milford, CT

A: Consider a consultation with a trademark attorney. There are specific issues related to trademarks when the geographic origin is part of the trademark.

Generally, trademark infringement is found when there is likelihood of confusion related to: (1) the similarity of the marks; and (2) similarity of the goods or services associated with the mark.

This answer includes generalizations. There are many caveats. This answer does not form an attorney client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.