Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: my Husbands dad gifted our home to his son & his son, I gave up my home he put jowros I was mislead w/ can I do?

Been 2gether 14yrs & I spent all my inheritance putting property on this land and pd up all taxes we got married a year ago I just found out this or I wouldn’t spent all my money on upgrading the home , do I have rights???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I'm sorry, but I don't understand the fact pattern that you are trying to state or the specific question you are asking. This is a cop-out answer, but you will need to speak to a family law attorney in your area and give me them all the details before you get a good answer. These details would include:

- the current deed for the property (who owns and in what form)

- when you were married

- what improvements were made during the marriage

- what improvements were made prior to the marriage

- what property you think you should have a claim to or rights for

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.