Spring Park, MN asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: Can I continue working under my J-1 visa after I get married and waiting for the green card approval?

I am currently working as an au pair with a J-1 visa. I am getting married in September to a us citizen, and plan to submit our application for a marriage green card soon after the marriage. My J-1 visa is already expired, but I have DS 2019 that extends till January 2021. Will I be able to continue working as an au pair after I get married and after submitting the application for the marriage green card while I wait for the green card approval?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: As long as you are otherwise working lawfully, then the green card application process should not impact, or be impacted, by that.

You can also apply for a temporary work authorization to use while you are awaiting the adjudication of your application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.