Birmingham, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: Can i still get my citizenship even if i decide to give custody of my kids to the other parents?

I am an immigrant and i have nobody here than my kids. I divorced due to abuse and still my ex trying hard to make my life harder. I feel like i am not stable financially and that my kids are suffering being with me. I have decided to change state and work hard till i get stable but the problem is, i have a 10 years greencard. Can i still get citizenship even if i don't have my kids with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Hi, the requirements for US citizenship does not require having children even if the children are from your sponsoring spouse. If you have had your GC for up to 5 years and you do not have any criminal record, you are in a good position to apply for U.S citizenship. Let me know how I can help.

This message is not legal advice and does not create client attorney relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.