Everett, MA asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a green card holder living abroad ,petition her unmarried daughter?

My mother-in-law has not entered the US since 2014. Her daughter is unmarried over 21 years old.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: If your mother in law has been out of the country for four years then she is no longer a green card holder A green card would have been deemed abandoned after one year. That being the case she cannot sponsor her daughter

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Since the idea is that the petitioner wants the intending immigrant to come live with the petitioner in the US, the only way this would work is if your mother-in-law intended to take up domicile in the US. Given that she has not lived in the US for six years, it seems likely that the government will determine that she abandoned her residence, however.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.